Jan 28 - The backstay is repaired, and other projects
Joe Schmick, a local rigger, took the backstay down and it took Matt and I about an hour and a half to measure, cut the new 1 x 19 wire piece, take off and clean the Hayn Hi-Mod terminal fittings, and reattach everything ready for hoisting. We found two broken wires in the outside strands; very interesting in that the terminal attached only 38 inches from the upper backstay toggle. Everything went smoothly and the windlass worked fine to hoist Joe back up the mast. It turned out that the steel roll pin which attaches the windlass motor to the gearbox had partially sheared, and that finally explained why we didn't have a reliable windlass! It would work under load, then slip, then work a bit again...Thanks to Richard of sv Before for all his help in diagnosing and helping me fix the big Maxwell. We've used the main halyard thru a turning block to the windlass to hoist me to the masthead for years, so it was good to have it back in form. Yes, I bought a few roll pins for spares! We also put on the jib (North Sails put a new Sunbrella protective cover on it), and attached our new jib sheets and furling line. We're starting to look pretty spiffy! Onward to our list of other projects before haul out next week....
(The picture is of sunrise from our cockpit)
at 11:59 AM